Thursday, December 26, 2013

Nicki Minaj and 2012 Songs

It's less than two hours after Christmas and I'm thinking about allowing tracks/songs from last year (2012) to qualify for the 25 Best Rock Songs and 25 Best Pop Songs of 2013.

I didn't allow all songs in last year because it would have been unfair to some of the artists but I listened to all singles I could find and had time to listen to plus one or two more songs of each artist, including bands, solo artists, and of course as many 'original song'(s) as possible of artists/musicians/songwriters/singers on YouTube and elsewhere.

I know what I just wrote is confusing and it confuses me too.

My main reasons were to not show favoritism, also to give artists/bands enough time to release more singles, and to encourage them to release more great songs as singles. What I'm hearing many, many music fans saying is they want to hear better songs on the radio, YouTube, and elsewhere. I'm hoping what I'm doing will make a difference.

Now here's something very interesting. The last few days it's clear to me what I thought last year was true: Nicki Minaj has more songs from 2012 that still qualify and she could smash the 25 Best Pop Songs again, if I allow album/CD tracks from last year that did not qualify last year due to my fairness decision.

Here's the real interesting part: The last two songs that I listened to by other bands both showed a very specific Nicki Minaj influence and those are rock bands I'm talking about. That tells it all. I was hoping to hear some of those songs on the radio, but that doesn't matter since she will be getting in with these other songs anyway.

Another key point is that the Foo Fighters smashed the 25 Best Rock Songs of 2011 with 5 songs on the list. I bought their CD "Wasting Light" earlier in the year/ Nicki Minaj had 3 songs in the 25 Best Pop Songs of 2012 and 2 songs as crossover songs to the 25 Best Rock Songs. I also bought her CD, the Deluxe Edition of "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" (Explicit) in 2012. I didn't realize how many great Pop and crossover artists and bands there would be in 2012 and I didn't think I could be fair and listen to all their songs. What I'm saying here is it's clear to me that Nicki Minaj was every bit as great in 2012 as the Foo Fighters were in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment