Sunday, October 17, 2010

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish


Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band broke free from artificial boundaries of what was accepted in music to make songs that were ahead of their time and of lasting significance. "Neon Meate Dream of a Octafish" is a track from their album "Trout Mask Replica", released in 1969. The song features perhaps the best and most beautiful clashing of instruments I've ever heard near the end of song.

The lyrics are strange and the style is spoken more like a poetry reading, and no matter what the song is really about, it does give a very nice jolt to my imagination. I feel like I'm watching one of those nature programs and the narrator lost his script, so he just starts reading some interesting poetry about what he thinks is going on in the animal's mind. Cool!

Well, one thing is for certain, this song is great whether you call it experimental rock, progressive rock, art rock, or something else, and it reaches my list of 100 Best Rock Songs (1970-2010) even though it was from 1969. I decided to allow a few songs from 1969 because some albums are released and then singles later on, or the single was released near the end of the year and continues on the charts the following year. However, I decided that all songs, including all tracks and singles, had the same chance but of course to get on the list the song must be great the way the Beefheart song is.

Note: I do not upload music videos to YouTube and to my knowledge don't know who put those videos on that website. I'm only sharing it here, as with other videos, for the purpose of giving my opinion and entertainment to promote these fine recording artists, their songs and rock music, and be helpful to those trying to find out about music. Please support bands by buying their albums, CDs, and going to concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment